Bhubaneswar: The students from class I to VII are likely to attend physical classes after a gap of nearly two years. As the children have not attended the schools since long their emotional well being should be taken care of by creating a stress free, enjoyable learning environment in schools.
Keeping in view the above facts the following activities have been designed to be taken up soon after reopening of the schools.
- The rapport building exercise may be conducted for a period of one week. One week fixed time table will be prepared with only activities other than text book. Following are some activities:
- Open discussion: Sharing of good memory during Covid 19 pandemic period, hobby, How did you feel when schools were closed due to Covid 19. Good/ Bad &why, what sports do you like, etc.
- Brain storming: word puzzle game, fruits name, animals name etc. (both Odia & English)
- Story telling: Story telling, rearranging of story clips
- Complete the picture: all the children will complete the picture by using their creative thought. Suppose give an outline of Hill and ask children to complete it with their creative thought.
- Clay modeling /any craft work with locally available raw materials.
- Collage work (pasting of small piece of papers within an empty picture).
- Any other with the interest of the teacher.
Care to be taken to select activities more or less subject related while selecting activities as well as involvement of all children to be ensured.
- Baseline assessment of the children ( from class I –V) to be done in Language, Math & English as per the schedule date given below to know their learning level. The assessment questions developed by TE & SCERT for three levels i.e Grade I, Grade II & III, Grade IV & V will be provided to school.
- 03.22: Language (Odia) for Grade I-V
- 03.22: Mathematics (Grade I- V)
- 03.22: English (Grade IV & V)
- Baseline assessment followed by identification of learning status as well as learning loss of each child. · Different strategies may be developed by the teacher in consultation with CRCC & DIET faculty. The main role of the CRCC is to analyse the baseline assessment result of his/her cluster and develop a holistic strategy in consultation with the DIET faculty attached under DIET & CRCC linkage to ensure learning progress of each child.
- The learning level chart may be developed & displayed on the wall of each class room to mark the progress of each child. The sample of the chart is given below. The levels can be finalized by referring the text books:
Follow up Action of Baseline Assessment
- The answer papers of the baseline assessment to be shared with the parents and teachers.
- As per the analysis the teachers are to take up learning activities to recover the learning loss by forming same ability and mixed ability groupings. Following are some of the suggestive activities to be practiced by the children as per the learning level:
Language: Letter Reading, Word Reading, Sentence Reading, Reading with comprehension, writing letters, Writing words, writing sentences, Writing with understanding.
Mathematics: Number concept, addition, subtraction, division, simple problems, shape and size etc.
- Teachers can use various strategies to ensure conceptual clarity of the subject such as by telling story, game, recitation, picture, project work, etc.
- Every week there should be a sharing of progress with the parents.
- CRCC to make weekly analysis of the progress of children of his/her cluster and submit the report to block and block to district. District has to submit it report to state fortnightly.
- Special attention to be provided to children whose performance is not up to mark in the baseline assessment.
- While dealing with new concepts care to be taken to refresh the related concepts of the earlier class for better understanding.
- More focus to be given on oral reading fluency and basic numeracy skill for grade I & II.
- The activities reflected in the academic calendar from January to March to be carried out strictly at school level.
- For Grade IV & V more written activities for language and basic mathematical skill development activities to be conducted.
- For Grade VI & VII, emphasis to be given to those learning outcomes which are essential for attainment of Learning Outcomes of next higher class.
- Parents to be motivated to send their children regularly to school as well as monitor the children’s learning progress.
Parental Awareness & School Readiness
- A large scale campaign will be organized at village level to ensure 100% attendance in school on the reopening day of the school by involving SMC and CRCC.
- Prior to opening of the schools PTA meeting is to be organized on 26.2.22 to have a detail discussion on the activities to be taken as well as their role and responsibilities towards school as well as academic progress of their children.
- In order to attract the children to school and provide them joyful environment School Preparedness activity will be done under which the entire campus will be cleaned, sanitized and as well as the school entrance will be decorated with color balloons and they will be welcomed through flowers and tika to give a festive feeling to children.
- SMC training will be organized from 25th to 28th February to empower them on school safety, cleaning and sanitation, Management and other school related issues.