Berhampur: In what can be considered a piece of sad news for animal lovers, an elephant died reportedly after coming in contact with a live electric wire in Odisha’s Ganjam district.
According to reports, a herd of eight elephants including six females used to pass through a cashew orchard under the North Ghumsur forest division every day.
However, one of the pachyderms came in contact with an 11 KV live electric wire when the herd was going through the cashew orchard today. Soon it died on the spot.
Forest officials including Bhanjanagar DFO rushed to the spot and seized the carcasses of the jumbo. They buried it after conducting a postmortem, said sources.
The dead animal is expected to be 25-year-old, added the sources.