Blaze in Sambalpur’s Gol Bazar reduces 100 shops to ashes

Sambalpur, Apr 04: Property worth more than three crores of rupees were reduced to ashes as more than 100 shops were gutted in a massive fire that broke out in Gol Bazar here on Tuesday.

Though the exact reason behind the fire is not known yet, fire officials suspect that a short-circuit might have caused the fire.

No causalities have been reported in the incident.

On being informed, around ten government firefighting teams along with 40 other private fire brigades were pressed into service.

It took more than six hours for the firefighters to fully douse the blaze.

Sambalpur MLA Raseswari Panigrahi, Collector Samarth Burma and Superintendent of Police Akhileshvar Singh also visited the spot and took stock of the situation.

“Now, the fire is under control. As soon as we received the information, we immediately mobilised the fire brigade teams. The exact reason of the fire has not yet been ascertained, but electric short circuit is suspected to be the cause,” said Burma adding that relief would be provided after assessment.

“The administration will assess the losses. We will try to compensate the shop owners from the Chief Minister’s Relief Fund,” Panigrahi assured.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.