Bhubaneswar: Several houses and properties worth lakhs were gutted in separate fire mishaps in Odisha’s Sambalpur, Balasore, and Dhenkanal districts on Diwali night.
In Sambalpur, around 100 shops were reduced to ashes after a major fire broke out at a vegetable market at Golbazar at around 2.15 AM. The fire is suspected to have spread from diyas lighted in front of shops on the occasion of Diwali, locals said.
On being informed, Fire tenders rushed to the spot and doused the flames.
In another incident, property worth Rs 3 lakh gutted after fire engulfed a footwear shop at Khantapada market under Soro police limits in Balasore district late last night. It is suspected that the fire broke out due to a short-circuit at the shop.
In Dhenkanal, a fire broke out at Shree Krishna Dress Shop located close to National Highway-53 in Bhuban area. Properties worth lakhs were destroyed after fire broke out in the shop.
However, no injuries or casualties were reported in these three incidents.