Maoist cadre surrenders in Odisha
Phulbani: A Maoist cadre surrendered before Kandhamal Superintendent of Police (SP) Prateek Singh on Tuesday.
Speaking to the newsmen about the development, the Kandhamal SP said that Maoist cadre Rakesh alias Bharata Kanhar (21) of Barahala village under Gochapada police limits in the district, surrendered before the police today. He had joined the banned CPI (Maoist) on March 8 last year.
Kanhar was working in Kadanga Area committee of the banned outfit Kalahandi-Kandhamal-Boudh-Nayagarh (KKBN) under OSC, the SP said adding that the red rebel was carrying cash rewards of Rs 1 lakh on his head.
According to police, Rakesh was suspected to be involved in Gadimaska Camp recovery on October 2, 2018, exchange of fire at Gagarapatta on November 15, 2018, killing of Rabindra Mallik and burning of a vehicle on his presence at Sudrukumpa January 6, 2019.
“However, while working for the Maoist organisation as a party member more than a year, Rakesh witnessed many of the false ideologies of the party, modifying the true values and culture of the people, even harassing, beating and sometimes killing innocent people in name of police informer, forcefully collecting rations from poor villagers. The self-centred attitudes of Maoist leaders and the party members made him to change his mind and compelled him to leave the rebel outfit,” Kandhamal Police said in a press note.
Rakesh will get monetary assistance as per the Surrender and Rehabilitation Scheme of Odisha Government. He will also get assistance for building a house, pursuing studies and getting training in a trade/vocation of his liking, the press note further stated.