In view of the present resurgence of COVID cases in the State, the Health and Family Welfare Department of Odisha government issued a fresh guidelines for all the hospitals across the State.
“In view of the present resurgence of COVID cases, it is necessary to adhere to adequate infection control measures in all hospitals to prevent a large number of health care providers getting infected and to see that non COVID health care remain unaffected,” said the Health Department.
In order to mitigate or reduce such risk of hospitals getting converted to COVID hotspots the following instructions are to be strictly adhered to both by hospital management and staff of al Govt and Private hospitals:
- All hospitals (Govt/ Private/ Nursing Home) will have to strictly follow the IPC (infection prevention & control) guideline and treatment guidelines issued time by Govt of Odisha/Govt of India.
- It is mandatory to create a separate fever clinic and isolation zone/ block in hospitals for purpose of screening ILI/SARI cases, suspected contacts, persons coming from hotspot areas and any other suspected COVID cases; to provide testing /treating facility to these persons. Such facilities should have separate angry and exit.
- All patients coming to the hospital should be screened and triaged observing all IPC protocols.
- All hospitals are to ensure adequate hand washing, hand rub facilities and enforce use of masks and social distancing.
- There should be adequate rational use of PPE by health care professionals as per guidelines.
- There should be safe handling and disinfection of equipments/ instruments as per protocol.
- There should be safe handling and cleaning of soiled lines as per protocol.
- Ensure COVID waste management as per guidelines issued.
- Ensure transport and referral of patients after due emergency treatment and stabilization in a dedicated COVID ambulance.
- Enforce strict COVID appropriate behaviour amongst staff, patients and others visiting hospitals.
- Must have facilities to deal with all types of emergency procedures for COVID-19 patients including maternity care, safe delivery and child care.
- When positive cases are detected in any section of the hospital, the other patients of the room must be shifted temporarily to another room. The room must be sanitized and terminally cleaned and can be reused closing down for 24 hours.
- No life-threatening procedure/ treatment shall be denied or deferred on the ground of suspicion of COVID infection or non-availability of COVID test report, the hospital shall undertake such treatment taking all universal precautions as per guidelines.
- Separate Labour Room/ OT facility/ ICU for COVID suspect to be preferably set up to isolate such patients.
- There should be adequate signage, IEC materials in all strategic locations inside hospitals to sensitize patients and public.
- There should be regular reorientation of health care workers about IPC and other COVID protocols.