Planning To Study Abroad? Explore Scholarships for South Korea
International students eyeing South Korea can take advantage of various scholarships provided by both the government and universities.
South Korea is emerging as a compelling destination for international students, witnessing a steady increase in enrolments each year. Ranked as the 11th largest global economy based on GDP in 2015, the country offers a unique educational experience despite English not being widely spoken. The majority of university students and young people, however, are fluent in English.
Prospective international students eyeing South Korea can take advantage of various scholarships provided by both the government and universities. Scholarships are often awarded based on the applicant’s GPA level.
Global Korea Scholarship (GKS) for Degree Programs:
- Open to students in all degree programs, regardless of field.
- Available to students from countries with diplomatic relations with Korea.
- Covers airfare, tuition, monthly allowance, medical insurance, settlement allowance, and degree completion grants.
- Application period: September for undergraduate, February for postgraduate.
GKS Non-degree Programme for Foreign Exchange Students:
- Open to foreign students with excellent grades.
- Applicable across all fields of study.
- Covers airfare, living expenses, medical insurance, and settlement allowance.
- Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism Scholarship:
Art Major Asian plus (AMA+) Scholarship:
- Eligible for applicants holding citizenship of OECD DAC.
- For students pursuing arts fields such as music, drama, film, dance, fine arts, traditional arts, etc.
- Covers airfare, monthly allowance, Korean language training, tuition, settlement allowance, graduation thesis allowance, Korean proficiency grants, and medical insurance.
- Application period: Starts in February.
KF Fellowship for Postdoctoral Research:
- For scholars with a recent PhD in humanities, social sciences, arts, cultural studies, or related fields.
- Stipend amount determined based on the screening committee’s review and regional circumstances.
KF Scholarship for Graduate Studies:
- Available for MA students or PhD candidates in humanities, social sciences, arts, cultural studies, or relevant fields with a Korean-related research topic.
- Scholarship amount varies by region.
- Application schedule varies by region.