WhatsApp has become an indispensable part of day to day communication with family, friends or colleagues. However, it is quite noticeable that we are very often added to many WhatsApp groups which we do not intend to join. There is always a family member who adds you to a certain group for amusement purposes or for promoting a service or product.
Even though we exit an unwanted group, we are again added back to the concerned group. Sometimes dealing with these groups can become very irritating due to the nature of the content in the group or the behaviour of the people in the group.
However, there is a particular setting on WhatsApp which can be used to stop unwanted users to add you to any WhatsApp group. Usually, the setting on WhatsApp is set to ‘Everyone’. This means that anyone can add you to a group.
Follow these steps so that you can manage who can add you to the group:
- Open WhatsApp and click on the three dots on the top-right corner of the app screen
- Go to settings from the pop-up menu and select Account
- Click on Privacy settings and select groups
- By default, you can see that setting is set to everyone
- On clicking groups, three options will be visible- Everyone, My contacts and My contacts except
- My contacts option allows only the contact numbers in your phone to add you to a group
- The last option- ‘My contacts except’ allows you to choose members from your contacts who can add you to a group.
Hence if you face any issues regarding someone adding you to an unwanted group, then you can choose from the above-mentioned settings and rest in peace.