Bhubaneswar: Sports equipment worth over Rs 6 crores was reduced to ashes after a major fire broke out at Sports Emporium opposite Pal Heights near Jayadev Vihar here late on Thursday night.
According to eyewitnesses, smoke billowing out of the first floor of the sports complex was noticed soon after the employees left the shop at around 11 PM. It gradually spread to the other three floors.
Vehicular movement on the Jayadev Vihar-Nandaankan road, one of the busiest routes in the state Capital City, was heavily disrupted due to the fire.
Police and nine fire brigades were pressed into service to douse the flames. They had to break the glasses of the shop to bring the fire under control after hours of effort.
Though the reason behind the fire is yet to be ascertained, it is suspected that short circuit might have led to the mishap.
Pramod Dhupar, owner of Sports Emporium, and his wife,who rushed to the spot,fainted after witnessing property worth crores being reducing to ashes before their eyes.