Odisha Renewable Energy Development Agency celebrated 35th Foundation Day
Bhubaneswar: The Odisha Renewable Energy Development Agency (OREDA) celebrated its 35th Foundation Day at Biju Patnaik Energy Park near Khandagiri hills her today.
To commemorate the occasion a workshop-cum Exhibition was organized in the park wherein all staff of OREDA, it’s partner organizations, invited guests and Ex-Chief Executives of OREDA participated.
The three-day exhibition on renewable energy and its applications is open for general public.
School & Mass Education Minister-cum-Chairman of OREDA Badri Narayan Patra inaugurated the workshop-cum-exhibition in the august presence of Bhaskar Jyoti Sharma, Commissioner-Cum-Secretary to Government, Science & Technology Department, Odisha, Roopa Mishra, Chief Executive, OREDA along with other distinguished dignitaries.
Speaking on this occasion Patra said, “This year OREDA is celebrating its 35th Foundation Day in a different way. Three day-long exhibitions is going a long way in promoting renewable energy all across the state.”
The Minister further said, “Due to vast environmental changes and global warming, a day will come when usual sources of conventional energy like thermal and hydro energy be exhausted. Now the time has come for the leaders of the world to bring out certain solutions to such environmental changes through mutual participation. In this intervene; OREDA has a little jump to do. Time has all set for OREDA to find out cost-effective renewable sources of energy like solar, tidal, wind power and energy from the wastes. In the energy sector, OREDA has done a lot of things. It has a bright future.”
Address the gathering Sharma said, “Now day pollution has reached its maximum level. He urged the general public to use more renewable energy for making the world free from global warming. He also gave some insights about the building of OREDA. Further, he gave some information on the use of renewable energy.”
Amongst others, Ex-Chief Executives of OREDA shared their memorable experiences and the glory of success with the audiences as well as the employees of OREDA and Senior officers and staff of OREDA spoke about their memories and experiences of the organizations.
To commemorate the occasion, OREDA signed MoUs with Indian Institute of Technology, Bhubaneswar for SNA-Institution Association and long term partnership co-operation in respect of technical support.
Similarly, an MOU was signed with National Environmental Engineering Research Institute (NEERI), Nagpur for development of Biju Pattanaik Energy Park. MOUs were also signed with Odisha Livelihood Mission (OLM) and DMF, Keojhar for the introduction of renewable energy.
OREDA’s 35 years of glorious journey
Odisha Renewable Energy Development Agency was established in the year 1984 under the aegis of science & Technology Dept, Govt of Odisha with an objective Promotion of Research Development and popularization of all Non-conventional and Renewable Sources of Energy in the State. Though OREDA was primarily constituted for the promotion of R&D and popularization renewable energy in the state, today it implements some of the mainstream Projects of the state and impacts the lives of more than 40 lakhs people. Some of these projects include:
- Installation of more than 10,000 Solar powered drinking water supply systems that deliver about 80 million litres of safe drinking water every day to a population of nearly 20 lakhs
- Installation of 1300 Solar pumps that provide water to more than 13,000 Acres of otherwise un-irrigated land.
- Solar Electrification of 1620 remote villages where grid cannot reach.
- Solar electrification of about 750 tribal residential schools that ensure proper illumination, the supply of drinking water, safety and security to more than 70,000 students.
- Solar electrification of 176 police stations in remote locations under the CCTNS program.
- Installation of grid-connected rooftop solar power systems in the net metering mode for institutions and residential buildings for an aggregate capacity of about 2.5 MW. For better proliferation of the programme a separate web portal http://rts.odisha.gov.in has been launched wherein customers can avail all related services of OREDA, DISCOMs and vendors.
- Installation of grid-connected Renewable Power Projects of about 100 MW.
- For delivering effective maintenance services OREDA has also created an automated Customer Relationship Centre which listens to the customers from 7 am to 7 pm on all 7 days of a week and escalates their problems and issues to the respective quarters. (Toll-free No 1800 345 7135)
- For skilling youths in installation and maintenance activities, OREDA implements the Surya Mitra skill development programs under which 540 solar technicians have been trained so far.
- OREDA has recently introduced a new vertical on consultancy services for the development of RE-infrastructure of PSUs and other Govt. Agencies.
Apart from the above, OREDA is continuing its earlier programs such as Bio-gas, improved cookstoves, Solar lantern etc.