Odisha Police launches State-wide Student Police Cadet Scheme
Bhubaneswar: Odisha Police launched the most awaited Student Police Cadet (SPC) Scheme here on Thursday.
Development Commissioner-cum-Additional Chief Secretary of Home Department Asit Kumar Tripathy inaugurated the state-wide launching programme from Capital High School premises.
Senior Officers of State Police including DGP RP Sharma and Cuttack- Bhubaneswar Commissioner of Police Satyajit Mohanty, teachers and students of Capital High School and newly scouted cadets were present during the launching of the programme.
“The Student Police Cadet (SPC) Scheme would certainly help injecting disciplines, social behaviour and many more good habits among the students who joined the scheme,” said Tripathy while speaking on the occasion.
Sharma, who graced the programme as Chief Guest, lauded the co-operation of Capital High School authorities for organising such a good programme in the school. In his speech he said that the SPC scheme would help the students better appreciate the role, constraints and arduous nature of police work in addition to educating them about disciplines and sense of responsibility. It would also help teaching them about team spirit, increased respect for law, gender equality and maintenance of safe environment.
The SPC scheme is a two year programme meant for students of 8th and 9th class with strength of 44 students in each school including 50% girl students.
The Department of School and Mass Education has identified 40 schools of Central as well as State run schools for implementation of the scheme, out of which 33 are state run schools and 7 are Central Schools.
The same scheme can be extended to other schools in the State in a phased manner in future as per the decision of State government.
The SPC Scheme started in Kerala and then BPR&D had taken the lead role in studying and expanding it to other states subsequently. The scheme was rolled out on 21st July 2018 at national level in Gudgaon. Odisha is one among the very few leading states along with Kerala, Karnataka, Tamilnadu and Telengana in implementing the SPC scheme.
The programme is being contemplated as a long term sustainable and constructive solution to major internal security challenges recognized by police organization as increasing among the youth of today. These include increasing radicalization, rising crime rates and anti-social activities such as terrorism among youth, dwindling respect for law, weak sense of civic responsibility and environmental protection, increasing violence against women, substance abuse and misuse of ICT and technology.
The SPC can be seen as a part of Community Policing which is being implemented by Commissionerate Police and some other cities for last few years in Odisha. There will be exchange of views and ideas, among the students and police men during their visits to police stations as well as educational institutions.
The list of 40 schools are as:
- Kendriya Vidyalaya, Aska.
- Kendriya Vidyalaya, Baripada.
- Kendriya Vidyalaya, Berhampur.
- Kendriya Vidyalaya No.1, Cuttack.
- Kendriya Vidyalaya No. 1, Bhubaneswar
- Kendriya Vidyalaya, Khurda Road.
- Central School, Chandragiri
- Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya, Munuduli, Cuttack
- Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya, Paralakhemundi
- Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya, Nuapada
- Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya, Tarava.
- Angul High School
- Balasore Zilla School
- Town High School, Baragarh
- B.M Bagurai High School, Bhadrak
- Binaba High School, Balangir
- Janhapank High School, Boudh
- Ravenshaw Collgiate School, Cuttack
- B.B. High School, Dhenkanal
- Kandhal High School, Deogarh
- M.R. Boys School, Gajapati
- Onslow Institutions, Chhatrapur
- Jajpur Zilla School
- Binapani High School, Jagatsinghpur
- Town High School, Jharsuguda
- AJO High School, Phulabani
- Kesinga Bidyapitha, Kalahandi
- Kendrapara High School
- D.N. High School, Keonjhar
- Govt. Boys High School, Koraput
- Capital High School, Bhubaneswar
- Govt. High School, Malkangiri
- M.K.C High School, Baripada, Mayurbhanj
- Govt. Bapuji High School, Nabarangpur
- R.M.J. Nodal High School, Nayagarh
- Raja A.T. High School, Nuapada
- Puri Zilla School , Puri
- Govt. Nodal High School, Kashipur, Rayagada
- Govt. Nodal High School, Sambalpur
- Tangarpali Panchayat Samiti High School, Sundergarh