Dhenkanal: An elephant was electrocuted to death after coming in contact with a live electric wire in Dudurkote forest under Hindol range in the district on Wednesday.
The locals spotted the carcass of the tusker and informed forest department officials. They alleged that the elephant died after stepping on live wire laid by poachers to trap wild boar.
However, the forest officials said the exact cause behind the death would be known after the autopsy test
In October last year, as many as seven elephants were electrocuted after coming in contact with a high tension electric wire on the outskirts of Kamalanga village under Sadar Forest Range in the district.