Dengue alert in Odisha, 124 cases reported
Bhubaneswar: As many as 124 dengue cases have been reported in Odisha, informed Public Health Director Niranjan Mishra. As of Friday, 3484 dengue tests were conducted.
The dengue cases are on a rise due to the monsoon season. Despite reports from 17 districts, the number of dengue cases has increased in Khordha district with 48 positives, 19 in Koraput, 12 in Malkangiri, and 18 in Puri, added Mishra.
“All steps have been taken by the department for the protection of the general public. However, the public also needs to be more careful and take precautions,” said Health Director.
He also said that a special dengue ward has been set up at Capital Hospital in Bhubaneswar.
Adding to it, he said that the covid cases are also rising in the State where Khordha including Bhubaneswar reports highest number of cases.
Dengue is a viral infection caused by the bite of an infected female Aedes mosquito. The symptoms of Dengue are usually high fever accompanied by rashes. The best way to prevent dengue virus infection is to take precautions to avoid being bitten by mosquitoes.
Expert tips to stay guarded this monsoon:
- Turn over empty pails and buckets so that they do not collect excess water.
- Cover the buckets and drums that are used for storing water.
- Clean out all empty flower pots.
- Ensure you do not over water potted plants.
- Clean and empty water bowls of domestic pets at home and the water bowls of birds in the balcony.
- Repair broken septic tanks and cover vent pipes with wire mesh if any.
- Discard the plants that you keep in water at home.
- Wear clothes that can cover you completely. Wear long-sleeved shirt, long pants and closed-toe shoes instead of sandals.
- Apply mosquito repellents whenever possible or wear mosquito patches.
- The mosquitoes that carry the dengue viruses are most active from dawn to dusk; keep windows and doors closed during theses hours.
- If you have a cooler at home, make sure you clean it regularly.
- Keep the dustbins clean; do not let any dirt get collected to avoid mosquitoes.
- Light camphor as it will help in keeping the mosquitoes away.
- Sleep under a mosquito net.