Bhubaneswar: Crorepati ex-Principal of Hira Nila College in Kalahandi district of Odisha, Ramesh Chandra Sahoo, has been arrested on charges of accumulating assets disproportionate to his known sources of income.
Sahoo was found in possession of assets disproportionate to his known sources of income, which he could not account for satisfactorily after the team of Odisha Vigilance interrogated him following conducting raids at different places belonging to him.
The Koraput Division of Vigilance registered a case against Ramesh Chandra Sahoo and his spouse under section 13(2) r/w 13 (1)(b)/12 PC Act-1988 as amended by Prevention of Corruption (Amendment) Act-2018.
He was forwarded to the Court of Special Judge, Vigilance, Bhawanipatna after his arrest.
Acting on the allegation of possession of assets disproportionate to the known sources of income, simultaneous house searches were launched on the properties of Ramesh Chandra Sahoo at 5 places in Khordha and Kalahandi district i.e; 1) Residential house at Plot No.SB-7, Dumduma Housing Board colony, Bhubaneswar. 2) Residential house at Biswanathpur, PS-Lanjigarh, Dist-Kalahandi. 3) Crusher Unit at Khordha. 4) Crusher Unit at Pokharibandh near Biswanathpur, Dist-Kalahandi. 5) Office room at Hira Nila College, Biswanathpur, Dist-Kalahandi.
A total of 5 teams of Odisha Vigilance led by 6 DSPs, 4 Inspectors and other staff conducted the search on the strength of Search Warrants issued by the Court of Special Judge, Vigilance, Bhawanipatna.
During house searches, the following movable and immovable assets worth over Rs.5 Crores have been unearthed in the name of Sri Ramesh Chandra Sahoo, Principal and his family members;
- One single storeyed building over plot No.1891/2388 at Biswanathpur, PS-Lanjigarh, Dist-Kalahandi worth over Rs.24.43 Lakhs.
- One simplex house at Plot No.SB-7, Dumduma Housing Board colony, Bhubaneswar worth Rs.16 Lakhs.
- 3 Crusher Units at Khordha and Pokharibandh, Biswanathpur, Kalahandi worth Rs.2.85 Crores.
- 1 plot at Pokharibandh, Biswanathpur, Dist-Kalahandi.
- 2 four wheelers (Mahindra XUV 500 & TATA Safari car) worth Rs.25 Lakhs.
- 4 Trucks / Tippers (2 TATA LPK2518 Trucks & 2 TATA 1613 Tippers) worth Rs.51 Lakhs.
- 2 JCBs worth Rs.46.25 Lakhs. 8) 4 two wheelers worth Rs.2.40 Lakhs.
- Fixed deposits, Bank and Insurance deposits worth approx Rs.37 Lakhs.
Cash Rs.1.94 Lakhs, household articles and stocks of 2 Crusher Units at Khordha and Biswanathpur, Kalahanadi.