CM announces Rs 500 cr infra development package for Puri
Bhubaneswar: In an ambitious move to transform the religious town Puri into a world heritage city, Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik announced an infrastructure development package of Rs 500 cr for the city today.
The announcement was made during a high-level meeting at the ‘Lok Seva Bhawan’ (Secretariat) on the basis of the recommendations of Justice B P Das Commission of Inquiry in its interim report.
The meeting which was attended by Odisha Chief Secretary Asit Kumar Tripathy, Law Minister Pratap Jena along with Puri Collector, SP and Sri Jagannath Temple Administration (SJTA) chief also gave importance to the safety and security aspect of the 12th Century shrine in view of the lingering terror attack possibility.
“No compromise will be made on this historic site,” said the CM while chairing the meeting. Pointing at the eviction driver currently underway in the religious town and scheduled to continue in the coming days Naveen appealed people of the town to cooperate in its efforts by considering the same as the service of the Lord Jagannath.
Projects which were announced today are:
- Trumpet Bridge (Shri Setu): The bridge will be first of its kind in Odisha and will connect Puri Bypass-based Malatipatpur with Jagannath Ballav Mutt. (Budget: Rs 190 cr)
- Development of Jagannath Ballav Mutt: Construction of multi-layer parking lot inside the mutt along with market space and a meditation centre with a capacity to accommodate 10000 persons (Budget: Rs 180 cr)
- Musa river Rejuvenation: Connection of Musa river to Mangala river and development of riverfront tourism (Budget: Rs 85 cr)
- Beautification of Atharanala: At the entrance, Puri Atharanala will be illuminated with lights to attract tourists and assistance of ASI will be taken in this direction (Budget: Rs 5 cr)
- Creation of new lake: A lake will be excavated and then developed to woo tourists on an area of 28 acres of land (Budget: Rs 35 cr)
- Security Zone and Innovation of Mutts: All the mutts falling under the security zone of the temple will be shifted to suitable places without damaging its monuments. The mutts will also be entitled to get financial assistance under ‘Abhada Yojana’.
- Rehabilitation: All the shops and business establishments falling under the security zone of the temple will be evicted and a suitable rehabilitation package to be implemented for those gets affected due to the step.