Cuttack: Orissa High Court on Tuesday pronounced the verdict in the 2006 Odisha Civil Services officers appointment case and rejected the decision issued by the State Administrative Tribunal (SAT) in this matter. As a result, appointment of the 378 officers has become valid. The verdict has heaved a sigh of relief to the said aspirants.
As per reports, SAT had issued the decision on April 23, 2014 cancelling appointment of the 378 candidates. In this matter earlier the High Court had issued an interim stay on the decision of the SAT.
It is to be noted that on the basis of a case, the SAT had cancelled the final appointment list of 378 candidates. As per an advertisement issued in 2006 these candidates had been selected. However, after today’s verdict by the HC these candidates have heaved a sigh of relief.
As per reports, in a 2006 advertisement, OPSC had sought applications from to fill up 378 Class II posts in several cadres, including Odisha Administrative Services and Odisha Financial Services. However, the Commission later gave appointment to the candidates in Class I category. The recruitment process was completed in 2010.
The petitioner had challenged this appointment saying that the candidates cannot be employed in Class I posts as they cleared a test meant for Class II posts. Accordingly, she urged to cancel the appointment claiming it to be illegal.
However, later the State government said that the appointment was not illegal as the cadres of OAS and OFS officers had changed from Class II to Class I during the process of appointment.