80-Year-Old Man Lands In Hospital After Getting Rs 80 Crore Electricity Bill
An 80-year-old man in Maharashtra’s Nalasopara town was admitted in hospital on Monday due to high blood pressure after he received an astonishing electricity bill of Rs 80 crore.
Later, the Maharashtra State Electricity Distribution Company Limited (MSEDCL) clarified that it was clerical error.
The elderly man was identified as Ganpat Naik, a resident of Nirmal village of Nalasopara town. Ganpat runs a rice mill in the village and he was greatly shocked when he received the shocking bill.
He is a heart patient and seeing the enormous bill his blood pressure rose and he had to be taken to the hospital for medical checkup.
After the news spread, the MSEDCL swung into action and clarified that the error was on part of the agency that takes meter reading and a new bill has been issued.
Electricity Board official, Surendra Monere said that the agency had made a bill of nine digits instead of six digits and they have studied their electricity meter and given them a fresh bill of six digits after rectifying their mistake. Ganpat Naik is satisfied with the new bill now.
Ganpat Naik’s grandson, Niraj, said they got the bill when they were working and were “shocked” to see it.
Niraj said that at first I thought they have sent us the entire district’s bill. So we rechecked and it was only our bill. We got scared because the electricity board has started collecting dues from everyone for the lockdown period.”