5 Dead, 80 Hospitalised After Eating Prasad in Karnataka

Bengaluru: In a shocking incident, at least five people, including two children, died and 80 others were hospitalised after consuming Prasad (religious food offering) at a temple at Sulivadi village in Chamarajnagar district of Karnataka today.

The deceased have been identified as Gopiyamma (55), Pappanna (50), Shantha (20), Anitha 14 and Anil (12).

Out of the 80 people who have been hospitalized, the condition of 12 people is said to be critical. They have been rushed to Mysuru for treatment.

According to police, the foundation laying ceremony of Maramma temple was organised following which the prasad was distributed to the devotees on Thursday morning.

After consuming the prasad, people started vomiting and began writhing with stomach pain. All of them were rushed to different hospitals for treatment, police said. However, five people breathed their last while undergoing treatment.

Speaking to the reporters about the incident, District Health Officer said it was suspected that poison might have got mixed with the ‘prasad’, resulting in the tragic incident. “We have collected the samples and sent it to a laboratory for investigation,” he added.

Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy, meanwhile, expressed shock over the incident and said the concerned program officer is monitoring calls at 108 call centre and coordinating services of ambulances.

The Commissioner has instructed ADC Mysore to provide services of private ALP ambulances. Besides, two senior officers are on way from state headquarters to coordinate and supervise activities, Kumaraswamy added.

Also Read: Ashok Gehlot Appointed As Next Chief Minister Of Rajasthan

You might also like
Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.