Have you linked your PAN card and Aadhaar card yet? If yes, then well and good. If no, then there is nothing to worry as the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has extended the deadline of March 31 to June 30.
Due to heavy demand from a large number of taxpayers to extend the deadline, the CBDT has extended the deadline. However, this is the last chance, according to media reports.
As per a report of the Times of India, after this last chance the government will not give any kind of concession and penalty will be levied against non-compliant people. Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman has made a provision in the Finance Bill that a penalty of Rs 1,000 will be imposed on whoever does not link PAN and Aadhaar.
So, it is better to link PAN to Aadhaar before the fresh deadline. Sources also said that if you do not do this, then your PAN card will become ‘inactive.’ In this case, you may also have to pay a penalty of Rs 10,000 under section 272B of the Income Tax Act.
If you have forgotten if your PAN and Aadhaar card are already linked, then follow these easy methods given below.
- Whether or not your PAN and Aadhaar is linked, you can use the SMS facility of Income Tax Department.
- You have to type SMS in a fixed format by going to the message box of your mobile, and sending it to 567678 or 56161
- In this way type SMS – UIDPAN <12 digit Aadhaar> <10 digit PAN>
- This SMS has to be sent to 567678 or 56161
- If both are linked then you will get an SMS which will say “Aadhaar … is already associated with PAN..in ITD database. Thank you for using our services . “
Follow these steps to link PAN and Aadhaar?
1- Firstly you go to the official website of Income Tax (https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/home)
2- Here on the left side you will see the option of Link Aadhaar, click on it
3- A new page will open, where You have to fill in PAN, AADHAAR and Aadhaar as your name is written
4-If your Aadhaar card has only the year of birth, then tick the box of ‘I have only year of birth in Aadhaar card’
5- Enter captcha code or Tick for OTP
6- Click the link Aadhaar button, you are done with PAN and Aadhaar link
- You can also link PAN and Aadhaar via SMS
- Go to the message box of mobile and type – UIDPAN <12-digit Aadhaar><10-digit PAN>
- Send this message to 567678 or 56161. Then you are done.