IRCTC: How To Cancel E-Ticket, Refund Rules & Cost
New Delhi: Booked an online railway ticket but cannot travel? No need to worry as the ticket can be cancelled and the refund amount can be availed through the official web portal of Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC). Here is all you need to know about the cancellation procedure, refund policy and rules.
Rules for cancellation of counter tickets on IRCTC:
- This may be applicable only in case a valid mobile number has been given at the time of booking.
- Cancellation of tickets and refund of fare may be permitted for PRS counter tickets in normal circumstances only and not in case of late running of trains/cancellation of train etc.
- Online cancellation shall be permitted only up to four hours before the scheduled departure of the train if the ticket is fully confirmed.
- Online cancellation shall be permitted only up to 30 minutes before the scheduled departure of the train if the ticket is RAC/Waitlist.
- Passenger details (name, age, gender, booking status, current status) and journey details will be displayed on the website.
- Once the passenger confirms full cancellation of PNR, it will be marked as ‘cancelled’ but not ‘refunded’ in the system. Seat/berth will be released. Refund amount due will also be displayed on the website.
- All the privilege/duty pass/PTOs/complimentary pass tickets may be allowed to be cancelled through the website. In the case of a pass, zero refund is permissible.
Rules for cancellation of E-Tickets:
- If the user wishes to cancel his e-ticket, he can do so till the time the chart is prepared for the train. For trains starting up to 12 noon, the chart preparation is usually done on the previous night
- He can log on to irctc.co.inand go to ‘booked tickets’ link, select the ticket to be cancelled and can initiate the cancellation
- Cancellation would be confirmed online and the refund would be credited back to the account used for booking as for normal internet tickets
- If there is any partial cancellation of ticket, ensure that a fresh e-reservation slip (Electronic Reservation Slip) is printed separately as done for the original ticket
- Cancellations are not allowed at railway counters
If a confirmed ticket is cancelled more than 48 hrs before the scheduled departure of the train, flat cancellation charges shall be deducted at
- Rs 240 for AC first class/executive class
- Rs 200 for AC 2 tier/first class
- Rs 180 for AC 3 tier/AC chair car/ AC 3 economy
- Rs 120 for sleeper class
- Rs 60 for second class
Cancellation charges are per passenger. If a confirmed ticket is cancelled within 48 hrs and up to 12 hours before the scheduled departure of the train, cancellation charges shall be 25 per cent of the fare, subject to minimum flat rate mentioned.
If a confirmed ticket is cancelled between 12 hours and up to four hours before the scheduled departure, the cancellation charges will be increased to 50 per cent of the fare paid subject to the minimum cancellation rate.
Cancellation for Tatkal Tickets Booked Online:
No refund will be granted on cancellation of confirmed Tatkal tickets. For contingent cancellation and waitlisted Tatkal ticket cancellations, charges will be deducted as per existing Railway rules. Partial cancellation of Tatkal e-tickets is allowed.
Cancellation of e-Ticket in case the train is cancelled:
If the train is marked as ‘cancelled’ in PRS due to breaches, floods, accidents etc, a full refund is permissible in case the ticket is cancelled within three days of the scheduled departure of the train.
In case of e-tickets, such cancellations can be done by the customer through the internet.