Simple Tips To Stay Safe On Social Media. Read On
Bhubaneswar: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and all other social media platforms are great communication tools. However, when the thin line between public and private is crossed, problems ensue.
Despite being great channels to network and broaden your communication, social media platforms pose many risks and need to be managed effectively. Carelessness can be dangerous sometimes and poor use of these tools may lead to blunders. People often become victims of scams, online traps and other forms of cheating on social media.
Here are some simple tips to stay safe while surfing online.
- Use a strong password. The longer it is, the more secure it will be.
- Use a different password for each of your social media accounts.
- If you have social media apps on your phone, be sure to password protect your device.
- Be selective with friend requests. If you don’t know the person, don’t accept their request. It could be a fake account.
- Click links with caution. Social media accounts are regularly hacked. Look out for language or content that does not sound like something your friend would post.
- Be careful about what you share. Don’t reveal sensitive personal information ie: home address, financial information, phone number. The more you post the easier it is to have your identity stolen.
- Become familiar with the privacy policies of the social media channels you use and customize your privacy settings to control who sees what.
- Protect your computer by installing antivirus software to safeguard. Also ensure that your browser, operating system, and software are kept up to date.
- Remember to log off when you’re done.