Bhubaneswar: Pumpkin Barfi or ‘Kaddu Barfi’ is a delicious sweet dish which is prepared with grated pumpkin (kaddu), khoya (ricotta cheese), milk, sugar and flavored with cardamoms and saffron.
It is very easy to make and is cooked as a sweet dish at weddings, festivals, special occasions, and during fastings.
- Pumpkin (Kaddu) – 1 kg.
- Ghee – 4 tablespoon
- Sugar – 250 gms.
- Mawa – 250 gms. (crush it into small pieces)
- Almonds – 15 (cut into small pieces)
- Cashews – 15 (cut each into 7-8 pieces)
- Cardamom – 6-7 (peel and grind)
- Pistachios – 1 tablespoon (grind)
- Take out the seeds from the pumpkin, wash and grate it.
- Put 2 tablespoon ghee and pumpkin into the pan without adding water to it.
- Cook it on a medium flame, stir it with the spoon at small intervals and cover it with a lid. Cook it till the pumpkin gets tender.
- Now add sugar and cook it. Keep on stirring the mixture so that it doesn’t get stick at the bottom. Cook till entire water gets completely soaked.
- Add leftover ghee and cook the pumpkin well. Add mawa to the halwa and cook it till it gets thick. Take a little halwa in your fingers to check the consistency. If it is sticking to your finger and starts to set onto it, then its time to turn off the flame. Sprinkle cardamom over the mixture.
- Take a tray or a big sized plate and grease it. Pour the mixture into it, spread it evenly in all direction and let it set for 1 hour. Kaddu Burfi is ready. Garnish it with chopped almonds, pistachios, and cashews and cut it into the desired shape.
- You can refrigerate the Barfi in an air-tight container for 7 days.