Bhubaneswar: Matar Pulao or Peas Pulao is a delicious, aromatic dish which can be made in just 30 minutes. It is prepared using Basmati rice, whole spices, herbs, and green peas.
Peas pulao goes well with a Dahi Raita or veg curries like Veg Kurma, Paneer Butter Masala or Paneer Makhani.
- 1 tbsp ghee/clarified butter
- 1 tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- 5 cloves / lavang
- 1 bay leaf / tej patta
- 1-star anise/chakra phool
- Cinnamon stick / dalchini
- 10 black pepper/kali mirch
- 3 cardamom / elaichi
- 1 medium-sized onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small green chili, slit lengthwise
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 cup peas / Matar, fresh / frozen
- 1 cup basmati rice, soaked 30 minutes
- 1.5 cups water
- salt to taste
- In a cooker, heat ghee and add cumin seeds.
- Further add cloves, bay leaf, star anise, cinnamon, black pepper, and cardamom. Saute till they turn aromatic.
- Saute onions till they turn translucent. Also, saute green chili and ginger-garlic paste.
- After this, add green peas and saute well. You can use fresh peas or frozen peas.
- Further, add basmati rice soaked for at least 30 minutes and saute gently.
- Now add 1.5 cups of water. always add 1.5 cups of water to 1 cup of basmati rice.
- Add salt to taste and mix well. Cook for 2 whistles on medium flame.
- Serve Peas Pulao or Matar Pulao with raita or with paneer curries.