40 houses reduced to ashes in Cuttack slum
Cuttack: As many as 40 houses were reduced to ashes in a fire mishap at the Bangali Basti under Tangi police limits on National Highway-16 late on Friday night.
Though no casualties were was reported, valuables worth lakhs of rupees were charred due to the fire reportedly caused by a kerosene lamp. The fire spread quickly and engulfed the entire locality within no time.
Four fire brigades from Cuttack and Choudwar were pressed into service to douse the fire. The inferno was brought under control after two hours of tireless efforts by the fire fighters.
The affected people had to spend the night under open sky as no immediate help was provided by the local administration.